Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ed Hardy... Seriously?


Ok so I'm aware that I don't always keep up with the "fads" or whatever is in style at the moment, but how did this ever become in style? I just don't get it.

So I did some research on Ed Hardy. Found out he's like a pretty old dude. A tattoo artist who decided he wanted to start putting his tattoo designs on clothes, shoes and other apparel. So basically the clothes are covered in these designs that he has drawn as tattoos. Yeah some of them are pretty cool. Not saying I would wear them but yeah I can see why people think they are cool. Then I saw the price of these bad boys. So people pay $70-100 for a T-shirt??? Are you serious? Who pays that much for a T-SHIRT? Yeah I've paid that much for a polo or button down and that was pushing it. But holy crap! I don't care what style is in there is no way you could convince me that it is worth paying that much for a T-shirt. So I kept looking. Hats were all from $50-80 too. Like caps? Ball caps? Do they come with gold on them? They must have something on them that's worth money, not just these tattoo designs on a trucker style hat. No way a hat is worth that much. I guess if it makes you feel better about yourself to pay that much for a hat or T-shirt. So apparently this guy is selling his designs to all kind of people to put on their clothes or to make all new clothes for. This one guy Christian Audigier is big into it now. And from what I gather his clothes must make you feel amazing and have got to have some kind of health benefits to wearing them. His stuff is insanely high. Like work all week to pay for one shirt high (shout out to one of my buddies for that).

I also see younger kids wearing this stuff. That means that either they have conned their parents into buying this for them or that the parents are wanting their kids to be "cool" and buy this for them to wear. I dunno about anyone else but when the day comes that Gus has kids (WOW) they will just have to not be cool if it calls for me buying them T-shirts or hats for that much.

And I know there are people out there who are gonna say I'm quote-unquote hatin'. But I'm not even sure what that means really. And those who are gonna say I'm jealous or whatever. If I was jealous I think I would pay some 3rd grader or draw on a shirt myself before I would pay that much for something like that. To me they just aren't that cool. Not cool enough for me to put off eating (we all know I'm gonna eat) to get one of them. I give props to the guy. He has made a lot of money doing this I'm sure. If I could convince someone that my doodles and drawings were worth money I'd do it too. But not gonna happen I'm sure. Maybe I should try that. Hmmm nah I'll pass.

Anyway that's just my opinion on something that has been bothering me. I see them out all the time and its just hilarious to me. Just like last time, leave your questions, comments, criticisms, praises or if you agree/disagree on here or Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. wearing an ed hardy tshirt is like wearing the word DOUCHE BAG on your forehead. i mean look at jon gosselin! sick nasty. it's nothing but glorified skank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha that's awesome. I completely agree with that statement.

    ReplyDelete